Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Very Hungry Caterpillar

Our caterpillars arrived about a week and a half ago.  It has been fun watching them go from about a half an inch long to being these much bigger creatures.  Over the weekend they all turned into their Chrysallis.  Now we get the joy of watching them and seeing the color changing on their wings.  It amazes me the changes that a caterpillar goes under to become a butterfly.  When I get to heaven one day, that is a question I am going to ask God- how does that happen?  It truly does amaze me!

When we got our caterpillars I decided that we had to pause in our literature unit and bring out The Very Hungry Caterpillar unit.  It was so much fun to do with the kids.  It was a lot of work, but they had fun as I did too.  We are still working on a few things with the unit, but for the most part most of the things are all done.  There are still a few butterflies to be made so the door isn't completely done, but I wanted to share some pictures of what the kids made for our "bulletin board".  (I have all of 2 small bulletin boards in my HUGE classroom, so I made due with making one of my door cubbies my bulletin board.)  I am hoping to be able to figure out how to get my templates onto TPT so that I could sell them, but we will see if I can be that technologically efficent. 
This is the one side of my door "cubby" as I call it.


This is the opposite side of the cubby.  I love all their little caterpillars!


This is my second door... we don't really use this door, so I figured why not have it be used for a project like this.  Of course it has a lot more butteflies and food on it right now.


My door cubby... I tried to use my wood on the side as part of the tree trunk.  Things don't like to stick to that part of the wood otherwise. :)


One of my favorite pieces of fruit.  I thought they did a wonderful job in mixing the colors.  It really looks like a pear!  The fruit was made by painting it first and while the paint was still wet, they put pieces of tissue paper on it too.  We did it all Eric Carle style.  Some of my girls were saying, "I'm Mrs. Eric Carle!"  They couldn't be Eric Carle because he is a boy! 

Another one of my favorites... the watermelon.  They did a WONDERFUL job I thought at this.  After the paint all dried, I glued the black sequins on to make the seeds. :) 


I will post final pictures once I have all their projects up!  Plus I will add the link to TPT if I figure that out (hopefully soon)! 

No comments:

Post a Comment